WPI Business Women's Club (1955-1984)
The WPI Business Women's Club was established in 1955 by female employees at WPI. The club was formed "so that women on the 'Hill' might meet socially five times a year." Beginning in 1971, meetings were scheduled monthly and generally held during the academic year with programs and refreshments. Membership dues were required and typically used "for members of the Club at the time of weddings, retirement, illness, etc." The club also used funds from the Treasury to purchase and donate items to local organizations. In 1977, a sub-committee formed under the name of the Professional Group. Due to disagreements within the Business Women's Club regarding the establishment and role of the sub-committee, the Professional Group separated and operated as an independent club in 1979.